A Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification scheme provides independent verification and certification that the basic manufacturing practices and prerequisites necessary for the implementation of an effective Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) food safety program are being followed.
GMP establishes the operational conditions and requirements necessary to ensure hygiene throughout the food chain.
- The construction and layout of the food premises
- The training provided to the employees
- The adequate maintenance of equipment and utensils used within the company
- The use of suitable chemicals within and around the food premises including cleaning chemicals, pest control chemicals and machine lubricants, including and effective pest control program
- The identification and storage of waste within and by the company
- The implementation and effectiveness of the traceability system
- The cleanliness of premises, equipment, utensils, floors, walls and ceilings